When a person decides they want to make a dog a special part of their life, they could easily go purchase a puppy from a breeder and pick out the perfect breed and characteristics. Although this is the route many people take to finding a new dog, it is not the kindest choice. There are millions of dogs sitting in shelters right now and many are being euthanized because they cannot find homes.
Why are Rescue Dogs a Good Choice?
A rescue dog is an ideal choice because they offer the same love as a dog purchased from a breeder. These dogs deserve a loving family instead of being stuck in a kennel day after day, with no love from humans.
Bringing home a shelter dog is one of the kindest things a person can do in their community. This gives a dog a second chance at life and love and they are so appreciative when they meet their new family and start over. When bringing a rescue dog home, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- It is likely a rescue dog has not had the best of experiences with humans.
- These dogs are sometimes older and may have developed bad habits from their previous environments.
- Rescue dogs crave love and attention because some have never received it.
Making a Rescue Dog Feel at Home Is Crucial
When a person rescues a dog from a shelter, they hope for an immediate bond but this does not always happen. Rescue dogs have sometimes been through quite a lot and they can be bit afraid in their new surroundings. These tips will help owners to welcome their new dog.
- These dogs need plenty of space to grow accustomed to their new family.
- A structured routine is important for helping these dogs learn.
- A comfortable bed that is all their own will help them adjust.
It takes a lot of love and attention to help a shelter dog become a true part of the family but it is so worth it. If you are interested in getting a dog, do not go to a breeder in kansas city, instead, give your heart to a shelter dog who truly needs you.